Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Week 18 - Gulp!

Week 18 is another week of exciting progress for me! I’ve not only grown in length – around 5 and ½ inches now – but I’m also up to almost 7 ounces! And, now that I have a little more room in here, I am able to flex my arms and legs more (though mom hasn’t yet been able to feel it no matter how hard I try). It seems my fruit comparisons have moved to vegetable comparisons because this week, the websites will say I am the size of a bell pepper.

Nerve endings from my brain are beginning to hook up to my ears, which means I am beginning to be able to hear things slightly. At this point, it sounds a lot like my mom’s heart beat and the occasional stomach rumble. I am excited for the time when I am able to hear her voice along with dads and all of yours. It won’t be long after that mom will be subjecting me to all the mellow, acoustic folk music she so dearly loves (and dad could live without).

The other thing I can do this week is swallow! I can’t wait to put that skill to good use when I get out of here.


Mom is still feeling well and is almost officially in all maternity clothes. Tee-shirts still do the trick but most of her work clothes fit a little more than snug. She was surprised on Mother’s Day this week when she was showered with attention from dad (who bought her a heartbeat monitor), Grandma and Grandpa McMillen (who bought her maternity clothes), Grandma and Grandpa Helmrich (who gave her a rose bush), and Aunt Amanda and Uncle Jonathan (who bought me a handmade bib!). She also received calls and notes from people wishing her a Happy Mother’s Day. I think it surprised her a bit to be considered a mom but I’m pretty sure she relished every minute of it.

Next week is another doctor’s appointment so I will be certain to update you on progress. They will get my heartbeat again so the guessing games can start all over!


No comments:

Post a Comment